Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Majantja, Fokothi advance



Limkokwing striker Lemohang Lintsa (right) with Majantja defender Pule Lepota during yesterday’s Top 8 quarter final clash at Bambatha

Moorosi Tsiane

MAJANTJA and Lerotholi Polytechnic are through to the semifinals of the A division Top 8 tournament after overcoming Limkokwing University and Roma Boys respectively in yesterday’s quarterfinal matches at Bambatha Sports Arena.

Seana Matlapeng was the toast for Majantja with a brace that helped them come from two goals down and force the match into a penalty shootout which they won 4-2.

Lerotholi Polytechnic had earlier booked their semifinal berth with a 2-1 win over Roma Boys.

Limkokwing started the better side and nearly found the opener seven minutes into the match but Lemohang Lintsa’s effort narrowly missed the target.

This appeared to galvanise Majantja who found the target on 20 minutes, only for Relebohile Lefoka’s effort to be ruled out for offside by the assistant referee.

Two minutes later, Limkokwing returned to the attack with Lintša roasting two defenders only to be let down by poor finishing with goalkeeper Mothibe Mohatlane at his mercy.

Limkokwing finally opened their account four minutes later from the boot of midfielder Mafoa-foa Lephoto who struck to the far left to beat the keeper.

Majantja had a chance to equalise before the break but winger Jeremane Lelia’s set piece was easily dealt with by goalkeeper Nketsi Mahanetsa.

Majantja soon made a double substitution, bringing on Sello Ramalaka and Mohapi Thakalekoala for Thlakanelo Semethe and Lefoka on 55 minutes as they pressed for an equaliser.

However, they fell further behind three minutes later when Lehlohonolo Thamahane struck from a set piece to extend the lead for Limkokwing.

Limkokwing then pulled out Lebajoa for the speedy Teboho Koao on 59 minutes as they sought to tighten their control of the match.

Majantja halved the deficit on 81 minutes when an unmarked Matlapeng converted the rebound after goalkeeper had parried a Lelia free kick.

Matlapeng returned to haunt the university side three minutes later when he pounced in an identical situation to his first goal to take the tie to penalties.

In the post-match interview, Majantja coach Retselisitsoe Matsepe was a relieved man.

“It was not an easy match and for some reason my players just lost their heads and didn’t play like we planned so we got punished on those two goals,” Matsepe said, adding “But I am happy that we came back and won the match”.

Limkokwing coach Daniel Ntlaloe blamed the loss on inadequate preparations caused by examinations at the university.

“We made mistakes and in the end we conceded. But then again we didn’t really have good preparations as some students were writing their examinations.

“But I am satisfied with the overall performance and we will just go back to the drawing board to prepare for next season,” Ntlaloe said.


Comments are closed.