Sunday Express
Police Commissioner Borotho Matsoso
News

Matsoso sued M3.2 million over alleged police torture

…as retired airport employee claims officers suffocated, electrocuted him and knocked out two teeth during interrogation

Moorosi Tsiane

THE police have once again been hauled before the High Court over alleged torture of a suspect during interrogation.

A retired government employee, Molebatsi Monese, is suing Chief Police, Advocate Borotho Matsoso, for M3,247,536.90, accusing members of the Lesotho Mounted Police Service (LMPS) of suffocating and electrocuting him and knocking out two of his teeth during questioning over allegedly stolen air conditioners.

Mr Monese says the alleged ordeal took place at Mabote Police Station in January 2025.

He is claiming M1.5 million for impairment of dignity, M5,536.90 for medical expenses, M42,000 for future medical expenses, M1.5 million for pain and suffering, M50,000 for emotional shock and M150,000 for disfigurement.

According to his affidavit, the ordeal began on 14 January 2025, when he reported to Mabote Police Station after being summoned in connection with air conditioners allegedly stolen at Moshoeshoe I International Airport.

He said police told him the investigation concerned equipment allegedly stolen while he was still employed at the airport. Mr Monese, however, said he had already left the airport and knew nothing about the alleged theft.

He arrived at about 8am and contacted Officer Tšeliso Sesinyi, who told him he was busy and would call him once he was finished.

Shortly before 10am, Mr Sesinyi allegedly summoned him to an office where he found six police officers, including a female officer.

Mr Monese said he was instructed to switch off his phone before one officer introduced his team.

“He then informed me that I was called to the Police Station for air conditioners stolen at the airport since they were stolen whilst I was still working at the airport. He did not say when was the period I was still at work nor did he say the number of the air conditioners that were stolen. He said they want them and I must speak,” he said.

Mr Monese said he denied any knowledge of the stolen equipment, but the officers continued questioning him and insisted that he would eventually lead them to it.

The interrogation also focused on his previous employment at Maseru Private Hospital and Gain Stores. He explained that his duties at both institutions mainly involved power supply, lighting and generators, while other personnel dealt with air-conditioning systems.

The officers also allegedly questioned him about his former colleague, Retšepile Mafata, and his movements in a Honda Fit.

“He says he saw the Honda Fit car loading air conditioners. I did not comment because Honda Fit is a very small car,” he said.

The first interrogation ended at about noon, but Mr Monese said he was kept at the station until about 4.20pm and instructed to return the following day.

He returned on 15 January 2025, accompanied by former co-workers and other people who had business at the station.

At about 11.10am, he was allegedly taken to another office farther north in the police station, where he found three officers.

He said one officer ordered him to remove his shoes while another demanded to know where the stolen air conditioners were. He repeated that he did not know.

Mr Monese alleges that one officer cuffed his feet while another prepared to restrain his hands.

He said an officer then asked whether he was a Christian and whether he believed in life after death. He interpreted the question as a sign that the officers intended to kill him.

“I then rushed and prayed for myself and my children with a short prayer in my heart,” he said.

Mr Monese alleges that after his hands and feet were restrained, he was ordered to lie on his stomach.

“They put my head in a black tube which was filled with water and suffocated me for about 45 seconds to one minute.

“I later felt two electric shock pens sparking high voltage at the back of my thighs,” he said.

He alleged that the pain caused him to jump, after which the officer removed his head from the tube and demanded to know where the air conditioners were.

“I said I don’t know gentlemen.”

He said the treatment was repeated.

“He then took my head back into the tube and suffocated me and then I felt electric shock from the back on my thighs,” he explained.

Mr Monese said he again jumped in response to the electric shock and struck his head on the floor.

When ordered to stand, he noticed blood coming from his mouth. He said one tooth was loose while another had fallen out.

According to his affidavit, one officer took him outside and gave him water to rinse his mouth.

“He said to me that I am an elder and he does not like what they have done to me,” he explained.

Mr Monese said he returned to the waiting area, where members of the public were shocked by his condition.

“All the people in the room were frightened and surprised when they saw me bleeding and a tooth hanging from my mouth,” he said.

He asked former colleagues to photograph his injuries, and Mr Mafata eventually took a photograph and sent it to him.

Mr Monese said he remained in his vehicle until about 3pm before being instructed to collect his belongings and leave. He was allegedly told to keep his phone on in case police headquarters called him.

He left at about 3.20pm and sought medical assistance.

He said he first went to Mabote Clinic but was told the facility had closed and the doctor was unavailable. He then went to Queen ‘Mamohato Memorial Hospital, where he was allegedly told to return the following morning.

A nurse reportedly directed him to obtain painkillers from a pharmacy. He later collected his wife from work, and she instructed him to take his health booklet so they could seek further medical attention at Maseru Private Hospital.

Mr Monese says the alleged torture also caused lasting emotional and psychological distress.

“I am continuously emotionally disturbed as a result of this incident,” he said.

He alleged that he had become constantly angry and suffered psychological damage requiring counselling.

“I am always angry and feels a deep sense of psychological damage requiring me to attend to the psychological counselling sessions,” he said.

He told the court that he continued attending counselling sessions to deal with the trauma.

Mr Monese also emphasised the impact of the alleged assault on his dignity and reputation.

He said he had retired after 36 years in government service, including at Moshoeshoe I International Airport, and had received an International Civil Aviation award for his contribution towards the arrest of people responsible for theft and vandalism of airfield lighting systems.

“The award is the true testament that I am a law abiding citizen committed to upholding the laws of this country,” he said.

He said the alleged assault also permanently altered his appearance after he lost two upper front teeth.

“The loss of these teeth has disfigured my facial appearance. The disfigurement is permanent in that I cannot grow anymore teeth.”

In his claim for pain and suffering, Mr Monese described the alleged treatment as systematic torture.

“The torture involved both physical pain from the handcuffs on the hands, the electrocution used to restore my consciousness and the loss of teeth when I was not sedated. I also suffered on account of the suffocation resulting from the covering of my face by the tube with water, I could not breathe,” he said.

Adv Matsoso is yet to file papers responding to the allegations.

 

Related posts

Leave a Comment