MASERU — Mokhosi Mohapi could retain his job as the Lesotho Football Association (Lefa)’s acting chief executive officer chiefly because of his links with the domestic game’s major sponsor.
Mohapi, 37, was suspended last week after he allegedly went on an unsanctioned trip to Egypt.
He was largely expected to lose his job after Thursday’s disciplinary hearing which he did not attend.
Lefa officials have remained tight-lipped on the deliberations of the disciplinary committee.
However, a source close to the issue yesterday told the Sunday Express that Mohapi was likely to be given a second bite of the cherry.
The source said although the majority of the Lefa executive wanted him to go, Mohapi was seen as having played a key role in sealing a sponsorship deal for local football with Vodacom Lesotho.
Lefa spokesman Baba Malephane said Lefa would only announce Mohapi’s fate at a press conference tomorrow.
“We have come to a decision but we will only announce it on Monday,” Malephane told the Sunday Express.
Mohapi is expected to first face Lefa’s executive committee before his fate is made public.
It could not be established why he did not attend Thursday’s hearing.
But our source said despite his absence the meeting was a heated one.
All but one of the nine Lefa national executive committee members was present.
The committee comprises president Salemane Phafane, first vice president Tlholo Letete, second vice president Khiba Mohoanyane, public relations officer Baba Malephane and five committee members — Thabo Pule, Matoloko Mafantiri, Teboho Lekhanya, Rantsubise Matete and Motlatsi Khashipe.
Pule was the only one who did not attend Thursday’s indaba because of his commitments with the national Under-17 side that faces Cameroon in a CAF African Youth Championship qualifier at Setsoto Stadium next Sunday.
Comments are closed.