THE second annual Maletsunyane Braai Festival which is being be held in the vicinity of the majestic Maletsunyane Falls in Semonkong yesterday and ends today.
Peaking ahead of the event, a representative of the organisers, Bokang Kheekhe recently told Xpress People that all was in place and the road had also been refurbished ahead of the “biggest braai festival”.
“We have everything in place for the festival as the Ministry of Local Government on Monday helped us by fixing the road which will enable small cars to safely reach the venue,” Kheekhe said.
“The rain will be at bay so people don’t have to worry but even if it rains we believe it will be moderate and after all it is summer so it will not spoil the fun.
“Unlike last year when people were braaing and dancing near their cars, this year we have separated the parking, camping and festival sites but people should not worry about the safety of their cars. We also have a proper sound system unlike last year when it could not be heard by everyone.”
Yesterday’s event will be a ‘chilled’ braai day starting at 10am with games such as paintball, quad-biking and horse riding. By yesterday evening, revellers were expected to be treated to a musical festival featuring various local artistes such as multi award-winner Selimo Thabane, Leomile, Juvy, Nirex, L-Tore, Mega Hertz, Robocop and MIP alongside DJs Thizozo, Kopper, Buff Jnr, AfroDJ, Deepee, BoxFr3sh, Bootz, Vesta, Zagro DJs, Lym and Lilaphalapha.
The revellers also had the choice between camping and sleeping at community members’ houses (homestays) for a fee.
The Maletsunyane Braai Festival was first held last year by OTB Exclusive Events Management and it attracted scores of revellers. It started as an idea of bringing people together for a braai at an iconic place in the country.
The festival also contributes towards the promotion of tourism in that it is held near the famous Maletsunyane Falls – the longest commercially operated single-drop abseil in the world, descending 204 metres to the bottom of the gorge.
Apart from Vodacom Lesotho, this year the organisers have partnered with the Lesotho Tourism Development Corporation and Back To The Woods, the Lesotho Mounted Police and the community of Semonkong.
The first instalment was entrance free and lasting only a day. This time there was an entrance charge which the organisers say is to enable them to cater for logistics such as lighting, sound, toilets, showers as well as paying community members who were employed at the festival (at least 100 people).