Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

We were duped: LeFA

Moorosi Tsiane

THE Lesotho Football Association (LeFA) has defended itself in the Bantu FC fiasco saying the club was solely responsible for the fraudulent registration of players that has rocked the football fraternity.

Bantu FC were last week convicted by LeFA’s Disciplinary and Protests Committee (DISPROCO) of registering four South African players instead of the stipulated five.

The club was immediately docked three points from a match that they played against Lioli in December 2017 and could face further losses if any other top-flight teams convince LeFA to punish them.

Further to that, the club’s management is likely to face court action if the government decides to press charges after the DISPROCO established that some of the players namely, Itumeleng Falene, Phumuha Matsipa, Thabo Selisa and Pheko Molaoa have fraudulently acquired local identity documentation.

In an interview with the Sunday Express on Friday LeFA Secretary General, Mokhosi Mohapi, said their duty was to work with the documentation that is provided by clubs.

“Registration starts from the teams because they are the ones who engage players and compile all the necessary documents,” Mohapi said.

“We only work with the documents that have been provided to us. Our duty is to ensure that the documents that are required are handed in.”

Mohapi said the LeFA National Executive Committee (NEC) had tasked the Premier League Management Committee (PLMC) to investigate the scandal further while they have also sought guidance from their lawyers.

“The NEC aligns itself with the DISPROCO judgement and we have instructed the PLMC to act on the issue and give us their recommendations,” said Mohapi.

“We were presented with the needed documents for registration and unfortunately we were misled. But we have also approached our attorneys and they are looking into the matter while we are also awaiting PLMCs recommendations.”

Mohapi said the prerogative now lay with the PLMC whether or not they want to strip Bantu of the two trophies that the won in the 2017/18 season namely the Premier League and the Top4 tournament where they used the contested players.

He also said he was yet to ascertain whether or not Bantu have appealed the ruling but said it was within the club’s rights to contest.

Comments are closed.