Spread it on toast, slice it onto sandwiches, use it in salads, make salsa, make a dip, soup or eat it as is –– the mighty avocado!
Dip them in cream, dip them in chocolate, make home-made jam, ice cream, milkshake, smoothies, cheese cake –– vibrant red strawberries.
Add it to fruit salad, grill it, pizza, burger, ginger beer, milkshake or smoothie –– fragrant juicy pineapple.
The Sunday Express Spring Food festival kicked off yesterday with the use of these wonderful ingredients while I demonstrated the dishes live inside the Fruit and Veg City store.
If you missed it, don’t worry, the recipes are featured this week and I hope to see you next week Saturday, where I will be demonstrating more recipes and entertaining tips with Fruit and Veg City.
Happy Spring Cooking,
Grilled chicken kebabs with yoghurt dressing
Grilled chicken kebabs
with yoghurt dressing.
Makes 8-10 kebabs
500g chicken breast fillet cubed
½ onion, cut into segments
1 x green pepper, cut into squares
24 cherry tomatoes
Marinade & Dressing
350ml plain yoghurt
1clove garlic, crushed
Juice and zest of ½ lemon
1tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
• Mix all the ingredients for the marinade until well blended. Divide the mix into two batches. Pour one batch into a bowl and keep aside for serving. Marinate the chicken with the other batch for at least one hour.
• Thread the chicken, green pepper, tomatoes and onion three pieces each on wooden skewers.
• Grill on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through about 10-12 minutes. Arrange on a platter and serve as is or with rice and a green salad for a light meal with the dressing. The dressing is also suitable for fish.
2 x avocados, diced
1 x tomato, diced
½ red onion, diced
½ green pepper, diced
Juice of ½ lemon
1 small red chili, seeds removed, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Salt & pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Toss lightly and serve.
1 head lettuce, washed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
½ packet spring onions, sliced
1 cucumber, sliced
100g green Beans, blanched
1 punnet cherry Tomatoes, halved
1 packet olives
200g feta cheese, crumbled
Salt & pepper
• On a platter, evenly lay out the lettuce, spring onions, cucumber and green beans.
• Then arrange the tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. Sprinkle salt and pepper, oil and lightly toss. Serve with your favourite dressing. For even better results, use a mix of different types of lettuce and baby spinach when in season.