Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Rape suspect awaits trial in custody

‘Mantoetse Maama

 MASERU — A 39-year-old man from Leribe is awaiting trial in prison for allegedly raping a 57-year-old woman last week.

Police spokesperson Masupha Masupha said the suspect allegedly raped the victim last Thursday in the presence of her 31-year-old daughter.

 “The suspect found the victim and his daughter sitting together in their house.

“He forcefully undressed the victim and raped her,” Masupha said.

“Her daughter went out and called neighbours for help.

“The suspect tried to run away when he heard that people were coming but they were able to catch him,” he said.

The suspect was arrested by neighbours who handed him to the police.

He is still in police custody.

In a separate incident, a 13-year-old girl from Maseru was allegedly raped by an unknown man last Friday.

According to a police report the victim was snatched by the suspect from her room in the early hours of the morning while her relatives were still sleeping.

“The victim told police that when she woke up she saw a man standing near her bed. He snatched her and went out with her.

“When her sister came back to the bedroom she found that her younger sister was no longer sleeping on her bed.”

She went to their mother’s bedroom to search for her but she could not find her.

When they went to other rooms they found that someone had broken in.

Police say while the relatives were still worried about her she came in and told them that a man she did know had snatched her out of the house.

The sister told them that the suspect had pointed a gun at her and told her to keep quiet.

He took her to a place a few metres away from her home and raped her. 

He released her after the incident and fled.

Police are investigating.

In Mafeteng, a 14-year-old girl was allegedly gang-raped by four men from her village last Saturday.

According to a police report one of the suspects kidnapped the victim from her home at night. 

“The suspect took her to his house where there were three other men. The four suspects raped the victim for the whole night,” Masupha said.

She was released the following day and a report was made to the police.

The suspects fled after the incident.

Police are still investigating.

Meanwhile, Thato Seitleko, 25, from Qacha’s Nek was sentenced to 10 years in prison at the local magistrate’s court for raping his 30-year-old sister two months ago.

The judgment was delivered last Thursday.

 “Her sister was not feeling well when she was attacked,” Masupha said.

Comments are closed.