It is not clear how she is related to the late area chief or the applicant who is now trying to block her appointment. The other applicants in Selebalo’s case are his close relatives Sejakhosi Selebalo, Leabua Selebalo and Retšelisitsoe Selebalo. The respondents are the principal chief Motšoene, ’Matokelo, the director of chieftainship and the attorney-general. “I was nominated by the Selebalo family to be heir to my deceased father’s estate and succeed him as chief of ‘Mate,”Selebalo claims in his court papers. “It was with paralysing shock and amazement that I learned that the principal chief of Leribe has presented ‘Matokelo Selebalo as successor to my father’s chieftainship despite my nomination by the Selebalo family”. He states that he has been advised by lawyers that his nomination had been done in accordance with section 11 (1) of the Chieftainship Act 1968, and that any other person who claims that he is incapable of succeeding must apply to court to have his nomination set aside.
To his application Selebalo has also attached a copy of the family’s decision which he says was sent to Chief Motšoene. The decision said Sejakhosi Selebalo, the second applicant, has been appointed as the acting area chief of ’Mate to give Selebalo time to wind up his affairs with his employer. The applicant says he has been advised by his lawyer that the “principal chief lacks legal authority to vary or set aside my nomination by the Selebalo family”. The case has been postponed to August 6.
Comments are closed.