Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Ntsie has case to answer: Court

Sello Morake

 

MASERU — Controversial cameraman Habofanoe Ntsie, who is facing charges of negligent and reckless driving, has a case to answer.

Ntsie had filed an application for discharge from the case.

Magistrate Amanduse Tapole on Thursday, however, ruled that his trial should continue because the crown had proven its case “beyond reasonable doubt”.

Ntsie is on trial for negligent and reckless driving after he allegedly hit a car belonging to National Security Service (NSS) agent Sekake Mohale on February 15.

He is alleged to have fled the accident scene before the police had arrived to record his statement and collect evidence.

Ntsie had on Monday applied for discharge arguing, through his lawyer Letuka Molati, that there was no prima facie case against him.

But Tapole ruled that the man behind the TV programme Little Things had a case to answer.

“The crown has proved beyond reasonable doubt that there is a case against the accused to answer,” he said.

“The evidence of PW1 (Mohale) is corroborated by that of the policeman (Trooper Rapapa).”

The magistrate said it seemed Ntsie was wasting the court’s time by bringing up irrelevant issues into the criminal case.

This was after Ntsie had tried to play, from his mobile phone, a recording of the conversation that he claimed to have had with Mohale and police officers at the accident scene.

“I don’t see any relevance of the things you are bringing in this case. The phones are switched off,” Tapole told Ntsie who was in the witness box.

Ntsie repeated allegations made by his lawyer on Monday that the accident had not happened where Mohale and the crown were claiming it did.

“The accident did not happen where the complainant alleged it occurred but near the Chinese hall next to Tiny-Tots primary school,” he said.

“I have a witness who is a security man who saw what happened but is now the crown witness in this case.”

Later Ntsie complained to the magistrate about some people in the gallery he said were whispering about him.

He requested that they be expelled from the court.

“My lord those people are talking about me and I want to know what they are talking about,” Ntsie said.

“They should be expelled from these proceedings.”

The magistrate obliged, warning the people to remain silent or be thrown out.

After sometime, Ntsie complained again that someone in the gallery was recording the court proceedings.

“I don’t want this man in my case, I hate him,” he said.

“He is recording me. I know that he is recording me because he has done so before.”

During the proceedings Ntsie veered from the case and started making allegations that some agents of the NSS were trying to eliminate him.

“Some of the NSS members want to kill me and I know who they are,” he said.

“I was being trailed by members of the NSS when the accident happened.

“Mohale had even tried to block my way at some point during his pursuit.”

This is not the first time that Ntsie has alleged a conspiracy to kill him.

When he appeared in the High Court in February to face two murder charges Ntsie alleged that some police officers were planning to kill him.

The murder charges were related to the death of his two neighbours, Souru Masupha and Habaka Mahao, in November 2004.

Last year Ntsie claimed there was a military and police conspiracy to kill him after he began investigating the circumstances surrounding the murder of Maile Mosisili, the son of Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili.

Maile was found dead near Victoria Hotel in 2002. His killers were never found.

But Ntsie claims his problems began shortly after he alleged that a syndicate of soldiers and police officers was involved in the murder of Mosisili’s son.

His negligent and reckless driving case continues this week.

Comments are closed.