Majoro denies accident allegations
THE office of Prime Minister Moeketsi Majoro yesterday denied allegations on social media that the premier’s entourage was involved in an accident that left two people dead at the Mohobollo River, Leribe on Thursday.
Dr Majoro and his entourage were on their way from Qholaqhoe, Butha-Buthe where the premier had officiated at the opening of a shearing shed.
Video footage posted on social media on Thursday showed a silver-grey Honda CRV vehicle which appeared a write-off after a head-on collision with a lorry. Although Dr Majoro does not appear in the video, some of his security details are seen among the by-standers. Three of the cars that form part of the premier’s convoy are also see in the video.
According to the voice narrating the video, the premier’s bodyguards had been involved in the accident which left two people dead after the collision. The deceased were travelling in the Honda.
Dr Majoro’ spokesperson, Mosito Moqhekoana denied allegations that the premier’s motorcade had been involved in the accident. He said the accident actually happened before Dr Majoro arrived at the scene and the premier’s entourage only stopped to find out what had happened.
“Dr Majoro’s cars were not involved in the accident,” Mr Moqhekoana told this publication yesterday. “They (premier and his entourage) only stopped at the scene. There were already people and the police gathered at the scene.
“People did not think the prime minister can actually stop at a scene of an accident and observe like other people. So, when he stopped, some people thought he was involved in the accident but that is not true,” Mr Moqhekoana said.