THE Lesotho Sport and Recreation Commission (LSRC) has issued a stern warning to all national federations to ensure that they adhere to its instruction to put on hold all sporting activities to avoid the spread of the Coronavirus (Covid-19).
The LSRC directed all associations to halt all their leagues until further notice.
“All National Sports Associations (NSA) are encouraged to put on hold, with immediate effect,” reads the statement.
“This is effectuated by the presence of COVID-19 pandemic. We note very carefully that this will have a negative impact on the development of sport in general but the lives of our athletes and officials and the entire nation supersede every consideration. We feel a sense of duty to protect all the people who occupy the fond place of our hearts from the scourge of extinction brought about by COVID-19.”
The statement also said that LSRC would “not honour any request of support to the NSA regarding the Maseru 2020 Games preparations and NSA domestic and international activities”.
“Close and/or deny access to the public and NSA to all facilities under the management and/or control of the LSRC.
“Advise all NSA of any information regarding the changes in the situation relating to sport in line with the advice from WHO and other Health Organisations.”
LSRC acting chief executive officer Teboho Malataliana told the Sunday Express on Friday that they would discipline all federations that will disregard the directives.
“So far, we haven’t received any complaints about any federations that have disregarded the directive but if it happens, then we will not hesitate to take stern measures against such a body. This is a very serious issue and it is the government that came up with these measures in line with the World Health Organisation,” Malataliana said.
Malataliana said as much as all associations are independent run according to their own constitutions, they are still affiliated to the LSRC.
Meanwhile, the Federation of Lesotho Rugby (FLR) is holding a three-day development coaching workshop that started on Friday and ends today in Butha-Buthe.
FLR secretary general Litšitso Motšeremeli said the workshop is in line with their mandate to expand the sport and added that they have already held another workshop in Thaba-Tseka.
“This is part of our mission to ensure that rugby is accessible everywhere in the country. We have 30 coaches enrolled in this programme which is the second one after the one we held in Thaba-Tseka last December.
“Following the workshop, we will form a district rugby association which will then oversee operations in the district. The target is to have associations in all the districts,” Motšeremeli said.
Motšeremeli said they were aware of the LSRC’s statement but said their engagements were still within their parametres.
“The government said where people are meeting the number should not exceed 50 and we are less than 50 here and also we have suspended our league matches and other international trips,” Motšeremeli said.