Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Lioli close in on log leaders Bantu

Moorosi Tsiane


lioliPremier League champions Lioli yesterday beat LMPS 1-0 at the PTC Grounds to keep alive their hopes of defending their title.
The win saw the Teyateyaneng-based side reduce the gap between them and log-leaders Bantu from six to three points.
But Bantu have a chance to restore the six-point cushion today when they face LCS in Maseru.

Yesterday’s league tie started at a canter with Lioli attacking from all over the park.
In one of the many attacks, Montoeli Sonopo capitalised on poor defending from Hape Possa and brilliantly finished to put his side in the lead in ninth minute.

The home side seemed to be struggling and giving Lioli too much space in the middle of the park, allowing the duo of Bushy Moletsane and Tšoanelo Koetle to dictate pace and make dangerous forays upfront.

However, Teboho Ramakau nearly leveled matters for LMPS in the 39th minute with a well-taken strike from long range but Lioli keeper, Liteboho Mokhehle, stood firm to parry for a corner.

After the break LMPS introduced Lebohang Rasethuntša for Hape Possa while Lioli made a double substitution of Tšepo Lekhooana and Tšepo Seturumane in place of Lekhanya Lekhanya and Bushy Moletsane.

However, the change could not yield any more goals, and Lioli coach, Mosholu Mokhothu could not be bothered by the lack of goals.

“I am pleased by the performance of my players. We were under immense pressure as we desperately needed to win this match to keep our title hopes alive,” Mokhothu said.

LMPS coach, Lelia Makubakube, on his part, said his side did everything they could but still failed to win because it was simply not their day.
“We played well and the players did everything but luck was not on our side.
“Lioli were not that much of a threat; we only committed a silly mistake and got punished for it,” Makubakube said.

Elsewhere, Matlama lost 2-1 to Mpharane Celtics and LDF beat Nyenye Rovers 3-1.

The Melele/Qoaling Highlanders match was abandoned five minutes from time with Highlanders leading 2-1 after Melele supporters poured beer on the assistant referee.

Comments are closed.