MASERU — Lesotho’s senior national team, Likuena, have been dealt a huge blow after Namibia pulled out of next weekend’s friendly match that was scheduled for Setsoto Stadium.
Lesotho Football Association (Lefa) acting chief executive officer, Mokhosi Mohapi, confirmed to the Sunday Express on Friday that the friendly match against the Brave Warriors has been called off.
“It is a huge blow to our 2012 World Cup preparations, but we are already making plans to secure another friendly match for the upcoming Fifa dates in September,” Mohapi said.
Mohapi said his office received a letter from the Namibian FA last week informing them that they won’t be able to honour next weekend’s assignment.
“They have pulled out of the friendly match because the dates coincide with the start of their premier league and the league clubs there won’t be in a position to release the players for the game,” said Mohapi.
Mohapi told this paper that the match against the Brave Warriors was aimed at keeping players in good shape ahead of next March’s World Cup qualifier against African champions Zambia.
Meanwhile, the Lesotho national side’s woes continued on Wednesday as the team slipped one place in the latest Fifa rankings.
Likuena were placed 166 in the world last month, but have now slipped one place to 167.
The drop follows last month’s poor showing in the tri-nations tournament held in Botswana.
Likuena suffered a 3-5 loss to Zimbabwe and held Botswana to a goalless draw on the last day of the tournament.
Lack of international friendly matches against high profile countries seems to be the other problem for Leslie Notši’s charges.
Comments are closed.