Lesotho men’s netball team invited for SA championship
THE Lesotho Netball Association (LNA) has been invited by Netball South Africa to send a team to its 2021 Men’s Netball Championship in Rustenburg.
The invitational tournament is penned in for 11 to 16 April 2021.
LNA public relations officer ‘Mamakebe Moshoeshoe confirmed to the Sunday Express that LNA received the invitation this month.
However, Lesotho’s participation in the tournament is uncertain after Moshoeshoe on Friday said lack of funds and the Covid-19 pandemic may deter their plans.
Since last year, the association has been struggling financially resulting in its failure to fund the unfinished 201/20 season.
“We received an invitation from Netball South Africa to attend the national Men’s Netball Championship in April but we lack funds,” Moshoeshoe said.
“Sporting activities are also suspended in Lesotho and we are considering approaching the National Covid-19 Secretariat (NACOSEC) to seek its direction on what we can do regarding the invitation.”
Although South Africa being one of the continent’s hardest hit countries by Covid-19, Netball SA has allayed fears saying the event will take place in a safe environment where accommodation and netball courts are in confined spaces. All players and officials will also be screened for Civid-19 daily.
The last time Lesotho was invited to the event by Netball SA was last November. However, Lesotho failed to honour the invitation due to the Covid-19 pandemic and lack of finances.
Lesotho last appeared at the tournament in 2019 but still endured financial challenges that forced the players to dig from their own coffers to pay for accommodation and other logistics. The Lesotho National Olympic Committee (LNOC) only provided transport.