MASERU — The Lesotho Football Association (Lefa) has been given a staggering M2.2 million from the government for the senior national team despite its decision to disband Likuena early this year.
Lefa’s executive committee announced early this year that it has decided to dissolve Likuena because of lack of funds and poor performance.
Lesotho Sports and Recreation Commission chief executive officer Kholoang Mokalanyane confirmed to the Sunday Express on Friday that Lefa has received M2.2 million to develop Likuena.
“It is true that M2.2 million was last week transferred to our bank,” Mokalanyane said.
“This money was approved a long time ago and the only remaining thing was to transfer it to Lefa.”
Mokalanyane said the money was originally meant for Likuena but is now going to be used to nurture the Under-17 and Under-20 sides into the future national team.
“This money is for Likuena but it will be strictly used to develop Under-17 and Under-20 teams,” he said.
“The money is strictly for developing Under-17 and Under-20 teams because the association is building Likuena through those teams.”
Lefa public relations officer Baba Malephane confirmed the association had been allocated money but said they were yet to receive it.
“The allocation was done last week but the transfer to Lefa’s account has not been done as yet,” Malephane said.
Lefa is currently developing Likuena through the Under-17 and Under-20 national teams.
Both teams were impressive during the recent CAF Youth Championships qualifying games against Mozambique’s Under-17 and Under-20 sides.
Comments are closed.