LCD on the warpath over famo musician
. . . as party searches for singer who insulted Mochoboroane
THE Lesotho Congress for Democracy (LCD) says it is working to establish the identity of a famo musician who recorded a song insulting party Secretary-General Selibe Mochoboroane so they can sue him for defamation.
Addressing a press conference held in Maseru on Wednesday, the LCD’s public relations committee, comprising spokesperson Teboho Sekata, Youth League spokesperson Theko Tlebere and publicity coordinator Rammapane Maleke, said they would bring the famo musician behind the song to book for launching a “smear campaign against the leadership of the party”.
Although the LCD officials did not disclose the name of the famo group and album the song is on, the Sunday Express understands the group is called Lehafi la tšoene while the album is called Tlapa la thella. However, the singer of the song in question, titled Hake shebe, is not yet known.
In the song, Mr Mochoboroane is accused of supporting the Mafeteng-linked famo gang, Seakhi, which has been fighting another group nicknamed Terene for supremacy with the ensuing violence claiming dozens of lives since 2009. The song alleges that Mr Mochoboroane gave the Seakhi gang firearms and provided them transport using government vehicles.
The song also claims to know the people behind the assassination of businessman and staunch All Basotho Convention member, Thabiso Tšosane, who was shot dead in May last year by an unknown assailant as he ferried his workers home.
However, the LCD officials said the party had opened a case at the police to establish the identity of the singer and have him charged for insulting Mr Mochoboroane, who is also Energy and Meteorology minister.
“Mr Mochoboroane is not only the secretary-general of the LCD but also a minister in His Majesty King Letsie III’s government,” Mr Sekata said.
“The song accuses Mr Mochoboroane of being involved in the turf war between famo artists who were killed a long time ago. The people mentioned in the song were killed around 2007 and 2009, yet at that time, Mr Mochoboroane was not in the public service let alone a minister.”
He said since the artist claims to know the people who killed Mr Tšosane, he must assist police with investigations into the murder.
“The LCD urges the police to expeditiously find the artist so he can be interrogated and assist investigations into Mr Tšosane’s death,” said Mr Sekata.
“We want Basotho to know that the people out to tarnish the image of Mr Mochoboroane will soon be taken to the courts of law and account for their actions.”
Mr Tlebere said the net was closing in on the famo artist behind the “scandalous” song, adding that they suspect he is from the Terene gang.
“We are in possession of the CD and saw the picture of the group who wear the yellow colours associated with Terene supporters. “Without jeopardising the case by getting into more details, I can assure you that we have already managed to establish the producer of the CD,” Mr Tlebere said.
Seakhi member, Teboho Majoro, who is popularly known as “Lekase” yesterday told the Sunday Express that Mr Mochoboroane was not affiliated “in any way” with the gang.
“Mr Mochoboroane has nothing to do with Seakhi whatsoever, and it is unfortunate that some famo artists are trying to tarnish his image,” Mr Majoro said.
“Ntate Mochoboroane only intervened in famo music after he was appointed by former premier Thomas Thabane to help resolve the turf wars between rival gangs.”
Meanwhile, Mr Sekata also touched on the opposition parties’ continued boycott of parliament saying it now required “serious measures” since the legislators were being paid salaries at taxpayers’ expense for “doing nothing”.
The opposition’s 55 MPs, from the All Basotho Convention, Basotho National Party and Reformed Congress of Lesotho, started boycotting the august house on 23 June 2015 protesting alleged lack of law and order which had resulted in their three leaders, Thomas Thabane, Thesele ‘Maseribane and Keketso Rantšo respectively, seeking refuge in South Africa.
Most of the legislators have vowed to continue their boycott unless their leaders return from exile and army commander Lieutenant-General Tlali Kamoli is no longer in office.
“By boycotting parliament, the opposition MPs made it clear they don’t want to work for the electorate which voted them into the National Assembly. It is a shame that they accept monthly salaries for a job they are not doing,” Mr Sekata said.
It was surprising, he said, that while most of the opposition MPs were vowing to continue with the boycotts, some had submitted medical reports and leave certificates to National Assembly Speaker Nthloi Motsamai.
“There are three ABC MPs who submitted medical reports and leave certificates but I won’t divulge their names,” Mr Sekata said.
Mr Maleke chipped in saying the opposition MPs’ claims that their well-being would be in danger if they attended National Assembly sittings were baseless since no harm had come to BNP legislator ’Makhotso Matšumunyane who broke ranks with her opposition colleagues by attending Parliament sittings before it was adjourned last month.
“Ms Matšumunyane attended National Assembly sittings, asked questions and contributed to the discussions made in the august house, yet she was never harmed or threatened. It is therefore, baseless for the opposition to make such allegations,” Mr Maleke said.