I have not fled Lesotho: Mosito
Court of Appeal President Kananelo Mosito yesterday denied that he had fled the country, allegedly after receiving death threats.
Speaking exclusively to the Sunday Express from “abroad” yesterday, Dr Mosito said he left Lesotho “for a holiday” and not for fear of being killed.
“I have not received any messages or warnings of any sort. I just took a holiday outside Lesotho. I am not aware if I am being stalked or something because I am abroad and not in the country at the moment,” he said.
Following Thursday’s killing of Brigadier Maaparankoe Mahao just outside his farm in Mokema by Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) members—allegedly as he resisted arrest during an operation to investigate alleged mutiny in the LDF—speculation had been rife in Maseru that Dr Mosito had skipped the country fearing for his life.
Former Prime Minister and All Basotho Convention leader Thomas Thabane, his Basotho National Party and Reformed Congress of Lesotho counterparts Thesele ‘Maseribane and Keketso Rantšo sought refuge in South Africa on 11, 13 and 26 May 2015 respectively, allegedly after being alerted of a plot to kill them by renegade LDF members. The seven-party government led by Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili has since dismissed the accusations and appealed to the three leaders to return home, while also guaranteeing their safety.
Asked again if indeed he was on holiday, Dr Mosito told this reporter that he was not comfortable discussing the country’s security situation.
“But like I said, I am on holiday,” he said.
Dr Mosito was appointed president of the Court of Appeal by Dr Thabane in January this year.
However, the appointment was challenged by Attorney General, Tšokolo Makhethe (King’s Counsel) in the courts on the grounds it was irregular.
But the Court of Appeal dismissed the Attorney General’s appeal, reinforcing a ruling the High Court had made earlier.
Comments are closed.