Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Eight killed over Easter holiday

‘Mantoetse Maama


MASERU — Eight murder cases were reported over the four-day Easter holiday, police spokesperson Senior Inspector Masupha Masupha said.

He said two cases of attempted murder were also reported during the same period.

Masupha said the reports were from the country’s Central, Southern and Northern regions.

One case of sexual assault, three cases robberies, one of housebreaking and another of arson were reported.

“In the Central region a 27-year-old man was allegedly murdered in Lithoteng,” Masupha said.

“In Ha-Ramaqanyane an unidentified man aged between 40 and 50 was found dead on April 4.

“However, documents found on him established that he was from South Africa.

“A 58-year-old man of Ha-Tikoe was also on April 4 discovered dead in his home.

“A 7.65mm pistol was found in the house. Police are still conducting investigations in the matter.” 

Masupha said a 31-year-old woman of Ha Ntsi was on April 3 shot by two unknown men.

There was also an inquiry into the death of a 17-year-old boy reported on April 5, Masupha said.

“He was found dead at Maseru Club’s swimming pool. The case was reported on April 5 and police are still carrying out investigations,” he said.

“There was also a case of attempted murder reported of a 34-year-old man of Ha Nkhokho who was shot by a 40-year-old man of the same village.

“The suspect was arrested and his explanation for shooting the victim was that he (the victim) took his blanket without his permission.

“He used a 9mm pistol to shoot the deceased and police are still carrying out investigations.”

A 28-year-old woman of Ha Tsolo had reported she was raped on April 3 by two men she did not know.

“The victim told the police that she could identify the men who raped her. A 27 year-old man was arrested in connection with the offence and police are still searching for his accomplice,” Masupha said.

“A 26-year-old man was also reportedly hijacked on April 5 while driving his taxi commonly referred to as ‘4+1’. The hijackers allegedly took his bank cards, 7.65mm gun and M250 before running away.”

In the North there were two attempted murders and one arson case reported.

“A 33-year-old man of Berea was on April 4 beaten to death by other men. The men were fighting over pastures,” Masupha said.

“The Maputsoe chief also reported to the police that on April 2 a man was stabbed to death in his village.

“The chief was alerted to the crime by a 22-year-old woman who told him that they were attacked by men who had argued with her boyfriend.

“The suspects assaulted both the woman and the man but she managed to escape and report the attack to the chief.”

It was reported on April 3 that a 25-year-old man was shot by a 60-year-old man who accused him of insulting him.

“The suspect thought the victim was insulting him in a song he was singing with his friends. He shot at them and police found 9mm pistols at the scene,” Masupha said.

In the meantime a 45-year-old woman of Ha-Ntsane was alerted by her neighbours that her house was in flames while visiting her parents on the night of April 2.

Comments are closed.