Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Bantu hammer hapless Sky Battalion

Moorosi Tsiane

BANTU handed minnows Sky Battalion a 5-1 drubbing in the second leg of the LNIG Top8 championship at Maputsoe DIFA Ground yesterday.

Yesterday’s win saw Bantu join LCS in the semifinals with a 6-2 aggregate after winning the first leg 2-1.

The Mafeteng outfit could have opened the scoring eight minutes into the match after striker, Tsietsi Motseare’s strike was saved by goalie Thabelo Makorobane.

Motseare skinned two defenders but shot straight to the goal minder inside six yards.

The tempo of the match however, slowed as Sky Battalion began to settle.

Bantu only got their second chance in the 28th minute with Mokone Marabe whose shot from a Litsepe Marabe cross was parried by Makorobane.

It took A Matso Matebele 31 minutes to find an opener with Tsebang Lebata netting from Johannes Molapo’s defence splitting pass.

Motseare came close again in the 39th minute but Makorobane stood his ground to keep his side in the game.

Sky Battalion were dealt a blow five minutes before the break when central defender, Khotso Makhotla, suffered an injury. He was replaced by Lesetsi Mokhothatsi going into the break.

Two minutes from the break, Makorobane came to Sky Battalion’s rescue as he saved a chipped shot from Motseare after his side was caught on the counter.

Bantu made their first substitute just three minutes into the second stanza with Tau Masiu making his debut replacing injured Mokone.

Hlompho Kalake scored Bantu’s second goal from few feet outside the penalty area.

Kalake was substituted for Lehlohonolo Fothoane in the 54th minute.

Sky Battalion temporarily began to dominate the game and enjoyed the possession, but were harmless going forward.

Bantu made their last substitute as Tumelo Maine came in for Lebata.

Sky Battalion also made their second substitute with Tsemane Molebo coming in for Sello Ramalaka in the 63rd minute.

His team was to get a consolation three minutes later from a defensive error between Molapo and Tsietsi for Hlompho Masao to capitalise.

Litshepe buried a team goal with 68 minutes on the clock from a well knitted combination of passes orchestrated by Fothoane, Masiu and Litsepe.

Sky Battalion made their last substitute as Mahala Molapo made way for Kabai Mokoma in the 74th minute.

Litsepe capitalised from the goalkeeper’s mistake and passed the ball to Motseare who finally got his name on the score sheet 10 minutes before final whistle.

Litsepe scored his second as he buried Maine’s pass inside the penalty area with three minutes to go.

Sky Battalion coach, Pule Khojane, said he was disappointed with the result.

“I am not happy about the results but at least we tried to play,” Khojane said.

“Now we just have to go back and focus on the league.”

Bantu mentor, James Madidilane, said he was happy with the results although he was worried about the goal they conceded.

“Yes I am happy with the results but disappointed with how we conceded. It is getting worrying that we always concede from silly mistakes. But we take the win and go forward with it as we play the same side in the league next weekend,” Madidilane said.

In the first match, LCS played to a one-all draw with LDF and advanced with a 6-1 aggregate.

Comments are closed.