Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Arts events postponed amid Coronavirus scare

Nthatuoa Koeshe

SEVERAL events that were lined up starting this weekend have been cancelled around the country to avoid the spread of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) that has afflicted the world in recent weeks.

Although the virus was first detected in China in January, it has spread all over the world in the last month with Italy becoming the new epicentre recording a staggering 6 000 deaths while neighbouring South Africa had by yesterday recorded over 200 infections.

Although Lesotho is yet to record any cases, the government last week advised the public, event organisers and churches included, to limit gatherings of more than 100 people. The government has also closed schools from Wednesday until 20 April 2020 while a gazette on closure of restaurants and bars by 6pm daily.

The move has resulted in organisers of the annual Cleketseng that had been scheduled for 28 March have also postponed the event. The Strictly Local event initially penned in for 4 April 2020 at Victoria Poolside on has also been postponed along with the Party with Mura that was scheduled for last night at Club Yugo in Katlehong.

“Although the country has not recorded any cases yet, the safety of our revellers is extremely important,” Cleketseng organisers told the Xpress People on Friday.

“Those who already bought merchandise and tickets must not worry as they will remain valid until the new dates.”

They will therefore now monitor the situation and announce new dates once danger has been averted.

Restaurants, bars and clubs also said they have become more vigilant in terms of hygiene to ensure the safety of their clients.

The management at Cuban Linx said while their opening and closing times have not changed, they have heightened sanitisation.

“We have also decided to adhere to capacity regulations and as stated. We have taken all necessary measures not to overcrowd the club and to ensure that all our clients and employees adhere to the hygienic methods stipulated by the Ministry of Health.”

“We are monitoring the situation very closely and we will keep our clients informed on any new developments.

Kingdom Lounge management said it is leaving no stone unturned to ensure the safety of its clientele.

The restaurant is open for business as usual and the management assured its clients extreme hygienic conditions.

“We have conducted a high-level in-house training for our staff and we have enforced the strictest hygienic standards to combat the spread of the virus.”

They have also placed sanitisers at the entrance of their restaurant and inside for customers to access anytime.

“It is our shared responsibility to ensure adherence to these safety measures and we trust that together with our clients, we will help stop the spread of the virus,” the Kingdom Lounge management said.

1 Comment
  1. Thapelo Maliba says

    Well written articles indeed. Clear and concise.

Comments are closed.